Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Road To Italy

I am back from a whirlwind trip to Italy and I wanted to share with you this wonderful, wild and wacky country.  Let me start before arriving in Italy.  A few weeks before our trip, Michael and I saw the documentary "Fat, Sick, and nearly dead." (you can watch it online.)  We both thought it was very inspirational and it made us want to try a vegetable juice cleanse.  Clearly, we were not going to try Joe Cross' drastic two months of only juice.  We decided on a mild three days right before our trip to Italy. What a better way to prepare ourselves for all that great food than giving our digestive system a bit of a rest. Off we went to Macy's to buy a brand new juicer.

Michael and I wanted this cleanse to be as healthy and as healing as possible to our bodies so we focused on using mostly organic greens.  We occasionally threw in some carrots, apples, berries but it was mostly spinach, kale, watercress, green beans, cucumbers, squash and lettuce. At times, we topped this drinks off with ginger, garlic, lemon or grapefruit.

The first day I got up made my juice and after I finished drinking it my first though was, "What should I eat now?!"  Although, the juice was tasty it was totally unsatisfying to me. That should have been the first flag for me. The day only got worst as I keep getting hungrier.  A horrible headache came over me and left me feeling down.   Meanwhile Michael was not doing much better.

The next morning my headache was gone a well as my hunger that was hurting me the night before. I was happy. The remainder of the fast was uneventful except that I was ALWAYS hungry...and I mean always!  However, we made it through.  Listen, as healing it was, I vowed never to do another "crazy" diet again.  But I am sure Michael will talk me in to another one soon.  Anyway...ITALY HERE WE COOOOOOOOOOOME!




Some Delicious Juicing Moments


Stay Tuned for Week One in Italy...


No comments:

Post a Comment